At BW, we believe in acting for the future. We go beyond compliance, and ensure that we use resources efficiently, mitigate all environmental risks in our operations, and lower vessel emissions. BW is committed to maintaining and operating our fleet to the highest possible standards, and has invested in technology to help reduce our environmental footprint.
Shipping is the most carbon-efficient way of moving goods. It serves more than 75 per cent of global trade by carrying large quantities of cargo cost effectively, cleanly and safely. At BW, we acknowledge that this same mode of transport is a key contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. We believe members of the maritime industry must do their part to lower greenhouse gas emissions and increase energy efficiency in our operations.
At BW, our fleet management team is currently making multiple changes to improve the way energy is used. Physical changes to propellers, new paint technology, engine tuning, autopilot setting, vessel trim and weather routing are some examples of what is being done to make our ships run more efficiently, to make every drop of fuel count.
We are committed to implementing processes and measures that will continually reduce our impact on the environment. We will:
- Strive for zero oil spills
- Keep BW's environmental management plans ISO 14001-certified, ashore and on board all vessels
- Ensure compliance with present and future regulatory requirements
- Continuously improve the environmental awareness of our employees
- Work together with our supplier to seek environmentally friendly solutions
- Implement energy efficient designs, equipment and operational practices
- Monitor performance against predetermined goals and objectives
- Evaluate risk, review performance and share experience
The most important step we can take to reduce our environmental footprint is to reduce our bunker consumption. We take actions, both large and small, to improve the way energy is consumed on our vessels and in the office.
Read more >
BW through its Gas Solutions team is working to build marine-based infrastructure to facilitate the provision of clean energy, especially gas.
Read more >